The Bougar Press Broadcast: March 28, 2024

VHS Cross Country dominates at Channel League Race #1

VHS secured victories at the first meet of the year at Dos Pueblos, competing against Buena High School, Dos Pueblos High School, Santa Barbara High School and San Marcos High School on Wednesday, September 13.

VHS’s cross country team will have their next meet on Friday, September 22 at College Park in Oxnard.

Girls varsity placed first overall with 25 points, and girls junior varsity placed first overall with 26 points. Boys varsity placed second overall with 52 points (to San Marcos’s 40), and boys junior varsity placed overall first with 19 points.

Senior Sofia Ramos took first place in the girls varsity race with a time of 18 minutes 16 seconds while sophomore Madeline Locher took second place with a time of 18 minutes 32 seconds.

Senior Cody Beeson placed second for boys varsity with 15 minutes 59 seconds and senior Charlie Hammel placed third with 16 minutes seven seconds.

VHS junior varsity boys in the top five included Junior Kyle Mesh, first for boys JV with 17 minutes 18 seconds; junior Brock Donaldson in third place with 17 minutes 28 seconds; David Cruz in fourth with 17 minutes 31 seconds and Clayton Matthews in fourth with 17 minutes 36 seconds.

VHS junior varsity girls in the top five included sophomore Julianna Garcia with 20 minutes 49 seconds in second place; sophomore Samantha Prehn with 20 minutes 55 seconds in third place and junior River Winn with 21 minutes exactly in fifth place.

Before her race, Locher commented, “we won here last year so [I’m hoping to do well again].” When asked about the training and preparation, Locher said, “I think the training has been good. We had a hard workout on Monday… where we ran 800s at our race pace. I did six of them, which adds up to three miles… the length of the race.”

Varsity girls team captain Ramos said, “I’ve been running cross country since sixth grade at De Anza.” In addition to striving for personal success, she added, “I’m pretty excited for the rest of the team. Our JV girls have been working really really hard. They’re always sticking together, pushing each other. The whole varsity team is doing pretty well too… We have a good pack of five right now and so I’m pretty excited for them.”

“The team is hoping to win varsity and hopefully JV also. We’re looking for the first three mile [win] of the year, looking for some strong performances…” varsity boys captain and senior Cody Beeson said before the first race. He added, “ The workouts have gone really well lately. A lot of groups have looked super strong.”

In addition to having strong returning athletes, Beeson remarked, “We have a bunch of new kids who are looking really good also.”