2023’s Spotify Wrapped has been released

Spotify also announced their top 10 artists globally for the this year. Graphic by: Alexis Segovia

Music streaming service, Spotify, has released its annual event, Spotify Wrapped, which tracks music and podcast habits from the past year up until October

On Nov. 28, Spotify, a music streaming service, released its annual Spotify Wrapped. It is a marketing tactic used by Spotify that allows users to view their listening activity on the service over the past year up to the month of October. Spotify has released a Spotify Wrapped annually since 2016. In order to see a Spotify Wrapped, one must have a Spotify account which in turn allows for the company to gather more business. 

Frankie Parker ‘24 said, “[My top artist] is Morgan Wallen. I think [Spotify Wrapped] is a little bit rigged. I think I listen to a lot more versatile artists that just weren’t like on there. I feel like it [didn’t]  really show my actual stats this year. I was in the top 3% of Morgan Wallen listeners.”

Images such as this appear at the end of the interactive slideshow that is Spotify Wrapped. Photo by: Alexis Segovia

This year Spotify’s Spotify Wrapped included topics such as “Me in 2023,” “Sound Town,” “Top Five Genres,” “Top Five Artists” and a thank you message from a user’s most listened to artist. 

Maeve Searcy ‘24 said, “I think [Spotify Wrapped] is cool. I like to see the [music] I listen to throughout the year. [My top artist is] Phoebe Bridgers, which I think describes me very well.”

“Me in 2023” is one part of Spotify wrapped that gives the user a character based on listening habits throughout the year. There are 12 characters possible: Vampire, Alchemist, Time Traveler, Cyclops, Luminary, Mastermind, Roboticist, Shapeshifter, Collector, Hunter, Fanatic and Hypnotist. 

“Sound Town” matches a user to a city based on  their listening habits and artist affinity. This section  also shows a graphic with a pin on the city in which a user’s listening habits are most similar to that of the residents living in that city. 

Each listener’s top five song genres were presented in the form of  a sandwich this year. The user’s  top five genres are stacked on top of each other acting as ingredients in the sandwich.

“Top five artists” shows who the user has listened to most this year.  Users are also able to see the month in which their listening peaked for each individual artist. 

A new feature this year for Spotify users is a pre-recorded video message from their top artists within the personalized Spotify Wrapped experience. The video entails the artist expressing their thanks to their listeners. Song artists that joined in on the video message feature  are Taylor Swift, Bad Bunny, Peso Pluma, Dolly Parton, NewJeans, SZA and Jung Kook.