College Opinions: Part Six

Snowy view of The University of Chicago. Source: the University of Chicago website

This is the sixth article in a series interviewing current college students and past graduates, asking them about their insights and experiences in college. This series of articles aims to aid Ventura High School’s college-bound seniors. In this article, I interview Jordan Olson, a student at the University of Chicago.

Q:  What school do/did you go to?

A: University of Chicago

Q:  What is your major?

A: History

Q:  What was your biggest surprise during your first year of college?

A: The thing that surprised me most about college was the amount of people who were extremely gifted in and passionate about their field of study.Q:  What advice would you give to seniors that are attending college next year?

A: My advice to those going to college next year is to be open to trying new things and meeting new people. College really is the time to find out who you are and what you are interested in, but you can’t do that by just staying in your room and only talking to people you know!Q:  What do/did you like about college?

A: My favorite thing about college is the ability design your own life. Besides your general-ed classes, you can study whatever it is that you’re interested in. Additionally, there are hundreds of clubs and you can always find groups that do things you are passionate about.

Q: What do you miss about high school, if anything?

A: Sometimes I miss having the same classes and schedule as my friends. In high school everyone has similar shared experiences, classes, and time off which makes it easy to keep up with others. College can be more hectic and sometimes you just don’t see friends who are busy at the times you are free and vice versa.

Q: What advice do you have for juniors in terms of grades and extracurriculars that want to go to college?
A:  I would tell juniors to make sure they put the time in necessary to get good grades and do well on the standardized tests. But overall, make sure that you enjoy high school. Don’t do things you don’t enjoy just to pad your application. Have fun and do what makes you happy.

Q: Are you planning on majoring in anything, if so what is it?

A: I plan on majoring in history with an emphasis on the long 19th century in America.

Q:  What are you thinking you want to do after collage?

A:  After college, I hope to go to law school and enter the field of public interest law.

Q: Any final words of wisdom?

A: Have fun. Always try new things and meet new people. Study hard, but never take yourself too seriously.

These are the acceptance statistics for University of Chicago. Source: Thought Co.