No threat to Ventura Unified: Superintendent Roger Rice responds to viral Tik Tok threat against schools

Alejandro Hernandez and Rachel Gonzalez

Viral Tik Tok rumor threatens schools across the nation, yet there is no threat made towards Ventura schools.

School districts nationwide are on alert because of viral TikTok videos circulating of school-age students making violent threats against schools across the country. According to a VUSD voicemail sent to all guardians of VUSD students, Dec. 17 has been declared as “National shoot up your school day” by viral posts made by users of the application. The posts made have not been directed toward the VUSD specifically however, the Ventura County Police Department has been notified. 

Ventura Unified School District superintendent Roger Rice said in an email sent on Dec. 16, “Ventura Unified and the Ventura Police Department (VPD) are aware of these new rumors/threats. While the post does not target VUSD schools specifically and we have not received any credible information that our students have shared these posts, we wanted to make our families and staff aware.”

VUSD Superintendent Roger Rice said, “As always, our School Resource Officers are on hand to assist with any issues. We encourage all of our families, students, and staff to “See Something, Say Something” by contacting your school during school hours or VPD dispatch at 805-650-8010 after-hours if there is an incident concerning you.  We take every threat seriously and always work together to ensure the safety of our students and staff.”

This is a developing story and will be updated with more information.