Upcoming auditions for the spring musical

Jagger Smith’26 said, “I don’t know much about the audition process, but that it is probably more scary then it sounds.” Graphic by: Isabel Andrade

Willy Wonka auditions go into action this February 

“Willy Wonka” is the upcoming musical at VHS. Auditions take place on Feb. 22 and Feb. 23, and are open to all VHS students. 

The play is a version of Roald Dahl’s book “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” and features songs from the 1971 film as well as new songs by Leslie Bricusse and Anthony Newley. The musical, “Willy Wonka,” was written to keep student performers at the forefront. The play offers a variety of roles and can therefore involve many performers. The storyline follows Willy Wonka, a candy manufacturer from Dahl’s book, who puts on a contest by hiding golden tickets in five candy bars. The winners of these golden tickets get a lifetime supply of candy and a tour of the Wonka factory. The five children who go on the factory tour must come to obey Wonka’s rules, and when they don’t, they are faced with consequences.

VHS drama teacher and director of “Willy Wonka,” Stefoni Rossiter, said, “Musical auditions at VHS are extremely competitive we have a wild range of tablet, and people who have been apart of [the drama department] for a long time. I am always surprised every single time I do it.”

Jagger Smith ’24, who is auditioning, said, “Auditions are scary, but in the end, I’m confident in myself and all that matters is that I do my best effort.” 

There are three parts to auditioning. On Feb. 22 will be the singing auditions, students sign up for a time slot and are then given sheet music based on what a student wants to sing either   or what’s in within a student’s vocal range. Then on Feb. 23 the dancing auditions are hosted. This is where students from the singing auditions come to the main stage and are given a set of dance moves. Lastly, there are the call backs where actors say a few lines with others. Ms. Rossiter does not elaborate on call backs unless you are in one. This is on the same day as dance auditions. 

The Willy Wonka script that is being used for the production. Photo by: Isabel Andrade

Rossiter said, “It’s a musical so there’s three different components. The first one is singing audition and students can get their sheet music and accompaniment from me and sign up. And the next day there is dance auditions and then we have callbacks.” 

Smith said, “I first memorize the lyrics, and then I memorize the melody. I don’t overwork myself or my voice because it will just cause stress for me, and for my throat.”

Rossiter said, “I’m always surprised every single time I do it. When somebody comes in, who I had no idea could sing or dance, and they bring lots of pizazz to the stage. It’s pretty fun.”