It’s Talent Show time!

Harley Nix ’24 said, “And I will also be performing with the Hip-Hop team.” Photo by: Isabel Andrade

The talent show auditions have come and gone

The talent show is back, which means auditions for it were held as well. Talent show auditions were  on Feb. 21 and Feb. 22. On Feb. 21, auditions started at 3 p.m. and started at 3:30 p.m. on  Feb. 22. 

Harley Nix ‘24 said, “I was in the show last year with the hip-hop team and the hip-hop team will be performing again this year.”

People could audition anything for the talent show as long as it was school appropriate. The most popular acts were singing, dancing, playing instruments, gymnastics, etc. These are some fan favorites when it comes to the talent show.

Ada Sheeren ‘25 said, “So [the] number of acts in the talent show is not a set number, and since we’re still in the audition precess, we aren’t quite sure how many will be in the show.”

The audition panel consisted of Ada Sheeren, Ann Larson, Stefoni Rossiter, and Miriam Arichea. Ada Sheeran was the only ASB student in the panel, while the rest consisted of teachers and staff. 

Sheeren said, “The audition panel changes from year to year. It’s nearly always teachers, though, usually with knowledge surrounding performance arts.”   

Nix  said, “I will be auditioning two songs, a solo called ‘Screw Loose’ from Cry Baby, and another called ‘Seventeen’ from ‘Heathers.’”

Talent show applications were due on Feb. 15. This application consisted of description of a student’s act, how long it takes (could not be more than three minutes), participants, phone number and VUSD email. 

Ada Sheeren ’25 said, “ASB will certainly be doing that, as will the rest of the talented performers in the show.” Graphic by: Lily Brown

Nix  said, “I usually go home and sing each song so I have it memorized. Both songs have a lot of moments where I belt so it’s good to practice.”

The VHS talent show was well known before the pandemic hit. Last year was the first time bring it back after. This is the second year and ASB is hoping to get a larger crowd as the Talent show would normally bring a lot of people in outside of the VHS community.

Sheeren said, “Before the pandemic, the VHS talent show was very well known in Ventura and would draw in lots of people outside of the VHS community. Our goal is to take back its former glory, and maybe even past that. It’s just a chance for students to perform for the community and have a little fun.”

The talent show will take place on March 8, and the cast list will be published sometime next week.

Sheeren ‘25 said, “The most important thing is to have a show that will be fun, smooth, and entertaining.”