VHS’ music department prepares for the Spring Tour

Pictured is a downtown skyline on the Cumberland River in Nashville, Tennessee where the students will visit on their trip. Graphic by: Emmett Flynn

The VHS music department will be putting its skills to the test with a long-awaited competition

VHS’ musicians gear up for their yearly trip to Nashville, Tennessee. This year from April 12 to April 16, Wind Ensemble Honors and String Orchestra Honors members will represent VHS at the Worldstrides Heritage Music Festival Festivals of Music. The group will begin their journey by motor coach, then students will be accommodated in a hotel throughout their stay. The students will be provided with the most essential meals of the day breakfast, and dinner throughout their time in Nashville, ensuring they are well-fueled for their performances and activities.
In order to gain funds for this year’s Spring Tour, Paul Hunt, the VHS band director, said, “The students fundraise, receive sponsorships from other individuals and/or make payments.”
For the band students who are yet to secure their spot on the journey, as a final reminder to seize this opportunity the deadline for payment is March 29, 2024.
Riley Simpson ‘24 said, “In preparation for this year’s Spring Tour, this semester we’ve started ramping up the repertoire to make it much more difficult to prepare for the Spring Tour. This year, the strings are playing a notoriously difficult symphony, Dimitri Shostakovich’s Symphony No. 5.”

Riley Simpson 24′, first Chair Wind Ensemble musician, is preparing for the Spring Tour performance. Photo by: Emmett Flynn

This trip isn’t only about the performances, it’s about experiencing the musical culture and atmosphere of Nashville. Students will have the opportunity to explore Nashville’s music scene and cultural landmarks along with other students. Sightseeing activities have been arranged to immerse the students in the musical heritage of the city, adding an educational dimension to their trip. Students will also participate in specified clinics, which will offer students fresh insights and feedback from experienced professionals, further enhancing their musical skills allowing students to come back to Ventura with additional knowledge and a fresh outlook.

The main event is the Worldstrides Heritage Music Festival Festivals of Music. The musicians will have the chance to showcase their skills on a stage, competing against the top schools around the world. While the students perform they will be criticized by nationally acclaimed adjudicators. Afterwards, the students will be given feedback from the judges. The most anticipated moment of the festival will be the award ceremony, where students will await the results of their performances.