The Bougar Press Broadcast: March 28, 2024

Clearing up the confusion

Riley explains that The Board of Education does little in regard to the school dances that take place and approving them. Photo by: Sarah Clench

In our sixth edition, we published an article titled “Rage Cage rumours grind to a halt,” where we focused on the opinions and perspective of one ASB member that was interviewed. In order to provide more accurate information and commentary, we are writing a follow-up article in which ASB president, Philip Riley, clears up some of the topics addressed in the article.

“The administration basically tells Mrs. Larson what we’re allowed to do,” stated Riley, in reference to who has the control when it comes to school dance decisions. In the article we were under the impression that the School Board made these decisions based off of the interview we received, however, that was not the case.

So after the article was printed, it was brought to our attention that the district has absolutely no say or involvement with Ventura High School’s dances, though that’s how several students and ASB members perceived the situation.

Riley also elaborated on the plans for future dances as well. “We are still going to have the dances that we planned and have on schedule, which is the spring dance for sure, senior ball is coming up, obviously prom, but that’s all we have for the schedule this year and because of what happened at Homecoming… I don’t want to speak confidently on the likelihood of having another dance.”

Interview with Philip Riley by Sarah Clench and Acacia Harrell

In regards to the whole ordeal and how he believed the rumour was conceived, Riley stated, “It was a miscommunication of people talking about things they wanted to have happen, but I didn’t know about it, like it was never talked about, I mean we were just like joking about it, like rage cage two, but like it wasn’t taken seriously.”

According to Riley, if there is one student in ASB that really wants to do something, they encourage the student to do so, so they can make a positive change.