Class of 2021 may finish the year off strong after all

Despite the Covid-19 pandemic depriving seniors of their final year and associated activities, an in-person graduation brings hope in ending the school year on a positive note. Photo by: Anna Guerra

Anna Guerra

With Ventura County showing a steady pandemic recovery, senior graduations are given the green light.

On Tuesday, April 20, Ventura Unified School District Superintendent Roger Rice announced via email that promotions and senior graduations will be able to take place in-person. All of the five high schools will have ceremonies, also including the Ventura Adult and Continuing Education school. Ventura High School’s ceremony will take place Thursday, June 10 at 3 pm at the Ventura High School Football Stadium. 

Senior Julianna Jacobs-Vargas said, “I would’ve been happy with any sort of ceremony but I understand that having an in-person ceremony means a lot to a majority of students. I’m really proud of the students that pushed for this to happen.”

Along with the announcement was also outlined that each graduate will be given four tickets to be given to loved ones to attend the event. If Ventura County moves from orange to yellow tier, there may be a chance that additional tickets will be given to increase capacity, though it remains uncertain. 

Although there is still no word on other landmark senior activities like prom, the school is expected to provide more information on senior activities and details for graduation as we move closer to the end of the school year.