Let’s go clubbing!

Linnet Sanchez ’25, Adrian Resendiz ’25 and Andrew Sandoval ’25 joined the Young Life Club. The club is a Christian organization with programs for young adults. Photo by: Isabella Fierros

VHS hosted its annual club week 

VHS held its annual club week on Sept. 13 and 15, where clubs outreached to students on the senior lawn during lunch. Clubs set up tables to recruit new members. Many clubs tried to encourage people to join by offering games, food and prizes. 

Alejandra Sanchez ‘25 is the president of the Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlán, or MEChA. Sanchez said, “We encourage kids to go to college, especially Latino students. We take kids on campus tours, we offer scholarships to our seniors at the end of the school year and we participate in a lot of Latino based events here at school.” 

Sanchez noted that MEChA saw an increase in interest due to their work during club week. Sanchez said, “We started the club last year and didn’t have a lot of sign-ups. We didn’t participate in club week [last year], [but since] we [did] club week, we [got] a lot more recognition and more people are curious about what we’re doing.”

Another club that promoted themselves at Club Week was Team 3925: Circuit of Life. Team 3925: Circuit of Life is a student-led robotics team at VHS. Ainsley Haro ‘24 doubles as electrical manager and business advocate for the team. 

Robin Beal ’25 and Ash Funnell ’25 represented the GSA during club week. Photo by: Isabella Fierros

Team 3925 was formed in 2011 with only 10 members, but in the last 12 years, it has flourished into a program with dozens of students. Haro said, “Every year we have a new game [where] we’re given two months to build a whole new robot around this game and on our off-season days we like to advocate STEM to other students.” Club week is one of the ways they reach out to students and try to spark an interest in robotics. 

Over the three days, around 20 different clubs participated in Club Week.