How do drugs affect VHS students?

From March 12 to March 16, The Cougar Press hosted an online drug survey for Ventura High School students. The survey received 165 responses. Overall, the majority of voters was upperclassman and female.

[huge_it_slider id=”32″]

The purpose of this survey was to educate and analyze VHS students to inform and draw conclusions on teens at VHS abusing drugs. Senior Chris Monroy said, “Drugs are something that should be taken seriously. No one should ever abuse drugs, but I also think that many people have a negative connotation with drugs because of the people who abuse drugs. I think VHS has a pretty drug free campus because of our amazing students.”

The majority of participants have never taken prescription drugs, but know somebody who abuses prescription drugs.

“I feel like there’s not a lot of kids who abuse drugs and get zooted mega at VHS,” said junior Connor Stevenson.

While the majority of the 165 students do not take prescription drugs, the majority also said they have and continue to do illegal drugs. Along with this, 90 percent said their friends do illegal drugs as well. The majority wanted to try an illegal drug because “[they] wanted to try it on [their] own will.”

“I think that if it’s starting to affect your everyday life you should get help. Some VHS students use drugs, but most of them just stick to bud so I don’t see a problem with it,” stated senior Joseph Sandoval.

As of January 1, in California, medical and recreational marijuana have both become legal if you are of age or have a prescription. Although, one cannot use marijuana in public, while driving or within 1,000 feet of a school or daycare center when a child is present, according to Deadline.com.

*The Cougar Press recognizes that survey results may not be wholly accurate due to concerns over user reliability. Please view with discretion.