Stress affecting school work

There is a resource, that anyone who is interested has access to, called Civil Rights Data Collection. Its an organization that collects data regarding the demographics of student populations within different High Schools around the world. They report on characteristics, pathways to college and career readiness, discipline, bullying and more.

One pie chart regarding the academic success of Ventura High School students is interesting to look at. The statistics (from the most recent survey of 2015) revealed that the hispanic community is the largest demographic of students at VHS, with 52%, and white being the next highest demographic, with 39.9% however when it comes to students enrolled in “Talented and Gifted Classes”, the hispanic students percentage drops to 29.8% and the white students percentage increases to 60%. Hispanic students are actually the only demographic of students to repeat a year of high school as well. So the question is raised, why does this demographic of students not excel as much in academics, though they are the majority?

Infograghic by: Acacia Harrell

We posed the question to VHS students “What makes it hard for a student to excel in academics?” Some students said that the work load and lack of teachers communicating about when they give the most work makes it hard for anyone to succeed however most students had a similar response in saying that family life is a very influential factor in a students ability to succeed in school.

If home life is what is making it harder for students to succeed academically that would imply that the Hispanic community of teenagers is having problems at home. Whether that be financial problems or even family issues, it puts on added stress for many students. That stress is also correlated with the suspension demographics, Hispanic students leading with 58%. Are they getting in more trouble at school because of the added pressure of their family life? It’s possible and probable.

One possible solution would be to implement a setting for students who feel their home is not an adequate place for them to focus and be productive. Though VHS has an Assets program, many students on campus know that to be a place of snacks and socialization rather than academic productivity. A more academic based after school program could prove to be a very beneficial resource of this demographic of student.