AP Art History Travels to King Tut Exhibit

Ventura High School’s AP Art History class travelled to the California Science Center on Wednesday, September 19 to see the King Tut Egyptian Exhibit, which was celebrating its 100-year anniversary.

Tutankhamun was an Egyptian pharaoh whose tomb was discovered in 1922, according to National Geographic.

The class, which meets fifth period, is studying Egyptian art as part of its curriculum.

“The art history curriculum studies different art from different cultures from all over the world in different time periods, and one of the… units is on Ancient Egypt,” said teacher Lauren Minadeo. “So we were right in the middle of studying Ancient Egypt right now and this exhibit is there and I knew that it was kind of a once-in-a-lifetime chance for us to see these real artifacts that came out of King Tut’s tomb.”

This is Minadeo’s second year teaching art history at VHS. “It’s a relatively new class for us, but I’ve always been passionate about art history,” she commented. Minadeo studied art history in school and taught it to seventh graders when she taught at a middle school.

Senior Shira Zaid attended the trip. “We got to watch this really cool [IMAX] short film… about King Tut and… why his tomb is so famous,” she said in a phone interview. “We did get to see pieces that were in the United States for the very first time and are only going to be here for this exhibit.” Zaid also added that those pieces would be returned to Egypt after the exhibit.

“It was really cool to see some of the motif that we’ve studied in Egyptian art,” she added.

[huge_it_slider id=”61″]