The Bougar Press Broadcast: March 28, 2024

One size does not fit all

One size fits all? More like one size fits few. One size fits is advertised to fit all women’s body shapes and sizes when, according to Emily Peters from The Collegian, realistically it only fits sizes zero to four and occasionally sizes four to six. Popular clothing brands such as Brandy Melville pride themselves on this sizing method. We as buyers support their message by wearing their clothes.

Senior Jennifer Lopez Torres said, “You’ve got to be confident.” Photo By: Trinity Taylor

What about men? Is there a one size fits all for them? Well, according to senior Caleb Benzon, “No, there are not,” and if there was a guy’s one size fits all Benzon said, “There is no way that one size could fit any guy, because not every guy is the same shape.”

The problem with the one size fits all is the message that comes with it. What if there’s a person that doesn’t fit the standards of that one size? What are they expected to think? By assuming that one size actually fits all, we are segregating those with body types that don’t fit into sizes zero to four and that is a big problem.

Society’s image of the “perfect body” is a very distorted and misleading concept that both men and women alike worship and wish for. The “perfect body” often includes zero fat, a flat stomach, long legs, impossibly perfect skin and rock hard abs. We are constantly brainwashed by this image.

Benzon said, “I don’t understand how a girl can have it[one size fits all] and guys can’t.” Photo By: Trinity Taylor
“Perfect bodies” are on the front cover of magazines, all over social media, in movies and television shows. News flash: according to Lena Rawley from NYU News, only about five percent of the human population actually look like that. The other 95 percent is put to shame by our society.

Senior Jennifer Lopez Torres said, “I have personally gone to stores and I’ve seen the one size measurement and I’ve tried it on. It did fit me only because I am, I feel bad for saying, just because I’m slim, but I know for other people, they do struggle and feel less confident.”

According to an article by Hayley Phelan from Fashionista Magazine, one 100 percent of fashion magazines are photoshopped. Photoshop has shaped society’s image of the human body in a very negative way. If you don’t look like this, you’re ugly, and that’s just the way it works. That is the message that “one size fits all” is sending.

Like Peters said, “You are one of a kind… not one of a size.” Your body is unique and whether you are small or large, there should not be any shame in what size you wear.