Tennis season comes to an end

Girls tennis poses for picture day before their match! Photo by: Hailey Cox

Ventura High School girls tennis had three matches in one week. The first match was against Buena High School, followed by a match against St. Bonaventure High School and ending with a final match against San Marcos High School.

Miller gets ready for her match. Photo by: Paris Carmody

The Buena match was at BHS on October 3, and VHS won 15-3. When asked how she felt her team performed, junior Grace Miller said, “I think we did really well.”

On October 4, girls tennis played against St. Bonnie at home, winning 16-2. Junior Natalie Rothstein said, “We did good, we won. Everybody’s serves were good and everyone was getting their volleys in and there was good teamwork!”

San Marcos came to VHS to play against the team on October 5.  When preparing for this match, the girls tennis coach, Tracie Currie said, “This is one of the toughest teams in our league so we’re going to have to really step it up a notch if we want to make it close.”

Senior Lauren Carpenter and Halstead playing a doubles match! Photo by: Paris Carmody

San Marcos ended up beating Ventura 12-6. When asked how she felt the match went, junior Maddie Halstead said, “We tried our best, but San Marcos is a really good team! We definitely need to work on a few small things since we lost a lot of our starters because they graduated.”

Currently, VHS’s record is six wins and five loses overall. Currie said, “We are a team in training and we’ve beaten all the teams we were supposed to beat and have had some close matches against the top teams.”

She concluded, “It’s a building year for us.”