Opinion: Do students feel comfortable being approached by military recruiters on campus?

Brody Daw and Sophia Denzler

Student Opinions: The gender bias of Military recruiters and why they are allowed on campus

More likely to be raped than killed in combat. The brutal statistics facing American military women serving in Iraq. With less than 14 percent of these survivors coming forward to share their story this systemic problem is deeply rooted in the military practice of toxic masculinity.

Recently, we have noticed people in military uniforms approaching students during break on the senior lawn. Upon further notice, we saw that they went up to multiple groups of students, but never one girl. When asked about this, a recruiter on campus said, “Females usually don’t approach us because they don’t feel comfortable with men in our uniforms.” He went on to describe that there are many male recruiters, and around 2 women, who usually, “can be with a man.” He also said that there was nothing gender exclusive in their work, but “females don’t approach us like you guys do.” Keep in mind we did not see one student approach them, as they were going up to students. 

Women in our history have been seen as the princess in need of a hero, a male in shining armor. This mentality is unfortunately what breeds a gender bias in the minds of society and those in the military.  Yet, they are still allowed on our campus. A job in the military should be approached with a vast knowledge of what you are signing up for, not because two men tried to convince teeneagers to do something where the repercussions might not be considered.

An anonymous freshman said, “In my personal opinion, I don’t think they should be allowed on campus because as high schoolers, our brains are still developing.” They continued and said, “I don’t believe that we should be encouraged to throw our lives away to the military this early before we can even think completely for ourselves.”

Sophomore Alyssa Loffelmann provided a solution to this. “I think students who show interest in going to the military should get a chance to see these options but in a setting that could be similar to a college visit. One where you have to sign up on a sheet; but I also think they should be warned of the possibility of being contacted outside of school if they choose to give the recruiters information.”

When asked the question if women should join the military an anonymous male commander responded, “I have literally watched a group of professionals completely change for the worse, become petty and show off-ish because one attractive female was attached to the platoon. If you want to make a combat unit ineffective, assign some women to it.”  

1948. The date when women were first allowed to serve. These women have not endured years of prejudice and inquiries over their competence, to have a man blame them for distracting men. If a man can not control himself around women, how can he be expected to control himself around weapons? 

Sophomore Kalea Kenton said, “It’s not that I think they shouldn’t be allowed on campus; people are open to future opportunities but personally it wouldn’t make me feel comfortable if they were anywhere near me. And I think the majority could agree.”