Anthony Fasthorse commits to University of Oregon

Anthony Fasthorse posted this picture to announce his commitment to the University of Oregon. Graphic by: Deeg Designs

Anthony Fasthorse commits to University of Oregon after receiving offers from Cal Poly, University of Washington and more 

On Oct. 10, Anthony Fasthorse announced his commitment to University of Oregon on an Instagram post, @anthony.fasthorse, saying, “I’m everything I said I’d be. I’m excited to announce my commitment to the University of Oregon. I am so grateful for this opportunity and to be able to compete in the NCAA [National Collegiate Athletic Association] for the next stage of my running career. I would like to thank everyone who’s helped me along the way I could be here without any of the help and a huge thanks to my parents for being there since the beginning of my running and always supporting me no matter how I did and coming out to every meet no matter how far, I couldn’t do it without you, love you mom and dad! Last but not least, a huge thank you to every single one of my coaches throughout the years. I’m excited for what’s to come in the future as a duck.” 

Fasthorse, a senior at VHS, has been running for VHS’ cross country team for four years as well as being a distance runner on the Track and Field team. He received many offers from colleges including  University of Washington and Cal Poly SLO before narrowing it down to University of Oregon. 

Fasthorse ‘24 said, “I committed to [ University of] Oregon [on] Oct. 10. I had to sign papers stating that I was on official visits and I got to meet all the coaches, met the team, there [was] be meetings to discuss what I would be getting offered and I decided [to accept University of Oregon’s offer] after talking to all the coaches. Hearing their plans for the program [was why] I wanted to go to Oregon because there is a lot of future. There [are] about four freshmen who have already ran sub four in the mile [at Oregon] and there is a lot of future holding there. The women [there] are going to be highly ranked this year.” 

University of Oregon is a member of the Pacific-12 Conference (Pac-12), a collegiate athletic conference. It is made up of the 12 most prestigious universities in the world, which was founded in 1959. University of Oregon is also a Division I school.  

Josh Spiker, head of VHS cross country said, “Oregon is probably the most prestigious university in the country for running. It has a long history of success and Eugene is the epicenter of track and field in the US. The current Oregon head coach was my head coach…in college which is pretty cool. He has coached over two dozen Olympians and his two assistants are both former American record holders.” 

University of Oregon’s head coach is Jerry Schumacher with other coaches including Shalane Flanaganh, Curtis Taylor, Brian Blutreich and Seth Henson. 

University of Oregon’s Track and Field mission statement is to, “Strive to recruit student-athletes who are academically prepared and make every effort to help each meet their academic commitments. Provide academic support services so that our student-athletes will receive the best educational experience, including obtaining their degree. Create a supportive family atmosphere where student-athletes feel connected to their peers, the community and the University. Ensure that student-athletes will become responsible, contributing citizens through career counseling, development of life skills and community service opportunities. Provide facilities and medical staff to enhance the physical fitness and wellness of all student-athletes. Require all members of our department to demonstrate and promote the highest standards of integrity, leadership, sportsmanship, ethical behavior and a true respect for equity and diversity. Maintain a quality comprehensive intercollegiate athletic program that is self-sufficient and self-sustaining in harmony with the mission and goals of the University. Operate in accordance with all rules and regulations set by the University, the PAC-12 Conference and the NCAA.”

Anthony Fasthorse’24 representing his future school, University of Oregon. Photo by: Alexis Segovia

Fasthorse said, “[Coach] Cruz [a former VHS cross country coach] played a huge role in my development as an athlete. Same with Anderson. They taught me a lot about the sport. And then Josh Spiker, he was coached by the Oregon coach, Jerry Shumacher, so I get [to] go be coached by who my current coach was coached by so that’s really cool. And he has helped a lot by helping me get in contact with coaches and in learning how to be a better athlete.” 

Spiker said, “We talked a lot throughout the process and I tried to play a neutral role in his decision-making process and help him think about all aspects of selecting a school from athletics to academics to the local atmosphere.”

Spiker also said, “Anthony has a ton of potential and can do great things both in life and in running and I’m excited to see what he can do.” 

Fasthorse said, “[University of Oregon has] been my dream school since I was in sixth grade, so to finally get this [offer] is exciting.”