Movember is the move

No-Shave November is an organization and event that originated from Facebook, in which people embrace their facial hair and go a whole month without shaving.

This yearly tradition also obtains the name “Movember” which is a combination of the words “moustache” and “November.”

When asked if having facial hair is uncomfortable, Lemer (left) said, “[Facial hair is] pretty beast” and Gardner (right) said, “I love having a beard!” Photo by: Summer Yovanno
Senior Camden Gardner said, “No-Shave November is cool because it gives guys a reason to try to grow out their facial hair and experiment with their appearance. It also raises awareness for men’s health which is great.”

Although No-Shave November is a popular event among adult men, the question still remains whether or not Ventura High School students are choosing to avoid shaving for the whole month as part of this tradition.

When asked if he is participating in No-Shave November, senior Andre Lemer said, “Yes I am, and the only reason I’m doing it is to beat Mr.McEntyre [AP Environmental Science teacher] in a bet we have.”

Sophomore Gerald Howard is also participating in No-Shave November and commented that “[It] is something smart that boys can do together, like how girls have their thing and boys have their thing… it’s dope, and [gives you] something to do.”

Although Howard implied in his quote that No-Shave November is a “boy thing,” junior Rhianne Martinez argued that he is mistaken. Martinez is participating in No-Shave November this year and she participated last year as well.

Martinez added, “I think it’s a great way to embrace yourself by letting your hair grow wild and free.”

Junior Brody Lynch added, “Coming towards the fall [and] coming towards the winter time I think [it] gets kind of cold and chilly out there and [if] you want something to warm you up… get some hair going.”

The thought of letting one’s hair grow wild and free may seem uncomfortable or intolerable, but when asked if so, interviewees had positive comments.

The organization of No-Shave November encourages people to donate the money they would typically spend on hair grooming to the American Cancer Society.

Gardner stated, “I go to the barbershop every other week to line up [my beard] so it doesn’t get out of control.”