The Bougar Press Broadcast: March 28, 2024

The only fair that matters

(From left to right) Junior Joey Stutes, senior Alex Rangel, junior Cole Stender, and junior Jake Grajeda all attended the college fair and checked out the UC Santa Cruz booth. Photo by: Ryan King

On Thursday, November 2, over 60 different college representatives gathered at St. Bonaventure High School’s gymnasium to inform and get to know prospective freshmen that are possibly interested in attending their college in the near future.  

A few of the colleges that attended this college fair included: University of Oregon, Northern Arizona University, Ohio State University, Purdue University, University of Notre Dame, UCLA, USC, UC Santa Barbara, and UC Santa Cruz.

Junior Sam Coats said, “It’s really neat to have all of these schools in one place.”

This college fair allowed high school students all around Ventura County to get first-hand information from a representative associated with the college, without having to tour the actual college site.

Junior Jake Grajeda shared his college fair experience: “[It’s my] first time at a college fair, and didn’t know what to expect. I’m glad I had a friend with me to show me around.”

Important information that is given during college fairs and presentations as well as offered online, is that this year’s UC Application and CSU Application are due by November 30.

Representatives from different colleges all set up their booths at the college fair. High school students from all over Ventura County could walk up and get any of the information they wanted or have any of the questions they had, answered. Photo by: Ryan King

The Common Application due dates are different depending on the university. Many private universities have separate applications that can be accessed through their website and have a different range of due dates.

Some universities offer students the option of applying as an Early Decision applicant. These applications are typically due earlier than regular applications and are binding commitments that let students know if they’ve been accepted or not before normal applicants.

It’s important to know that the majority of the schools don’t only look at a student’s transcripts, and SAT or ACT score. Instead, they look for students that are well rounded with extracurriculars and other activities that show the students involvement within their school and community.

Though college information is usually accessible online, college fairs are another way for students to be informed and speak with a representative from many different campuses.

Visiting the college’s site when trying to trying to decide where to apply is highly recommended by many of the college representatives, as it allows the student to get a true feel of the college campus where they will likely be for the next four years.

If you missed this most recent college fair, the Ventura/Tri-County National College Fair will be happening on April 17, 2018 at the Ventura County Fairgrounds.