Opportunities come to Ventura High School students at the Career Education Fair

Dr. Steve Hall stands in front of one of the booths at the Career Education Fair, in which he presents public safety and teaches students how to perform CPR. Photo by: Isabel Andrade

The College & Career Center hosted the Career Education Fair on the senior lawn

On April 27, VHS held a Career Education Fair where local organizations and colleges were invited to come on campus to present a possible career or college a student may be interested in. The event started during period three at 11:30 a.m. and ended at the end of lunch at 12:40 p.m. This gave students an hour and 10 minutes to explore their options in totality by going from booth to booth around the senior lawn. Many students were able to enjoy the fair during lunch by walking through after getting out of class.

The flyer posted by the VHS college and career center describes the fair as a way to “Take the opportunity to explore the career education programs offered at Ventura, Oxnard, Moorpark College, Ventura Adult and Continuing Education and Patagonia as early as now!” Through this opportunity, students were able to view their post-high school options while being able to stay in their community.

Wren Stepan ‘23 said, “[The VHS Career Education Fair] seems pretty cool. I haven’t looked around too much yet, but I’m [going to] check out the Ventura College booth because that’s where I’m going.” 

Stepan said, “No, I didn’t know the [Career Education Fair] was happening, but honestly it’s probably just because I don’t pay enough attention.”

The College & Career Center Instagram account, @vhs_college_career_center, posted the flyer for the college education fair on their story to advertise the event. 

The event started during period three at 11:30 a.m. and ended at the end of lunch at 12:40 p.m. This gave students an hour and 10 minutes to explore their options in totality by going from booth to booth around the senior lawn. Many students were able to enjoy the fair during lunch by walking through after getting out of class.

Dr. Steve Hall, the Dean of Public Safety at Oxnard College, said, “I was invited by the administration [to the Career Education Fair] of Ventura High School to come here and present our public safety programs to the students of Ventura.”

Dr. Hall said, “I’m excited to show students the career possibilities and all the opportunities there are in public safety.”

Guests such as Dr. Hall persuaded students to come up to their booth and learn more about what they could choose to do as a part of their 

Ventura College representatives present their career opportunities at the Career Education Fair, bringing pamphlets to share with students of VHS. Photo by: Alexis Segovia

community. With such opportunities, VHS students are able to understand that there are many opportunities in their community for their overall future.