VHS welcomes new track and field coach

Preston Biller, the new track and field coach, has big aspirations for track at VHS. Photo by: Meray Touma

Math teacher Preston Biller replaces Kory Anderson as head track coach 

VHS welcomed many new coaches to the athletic department for the 2023-2024 school year. Preston Biller was welcomed by the VHS track and field team as its new head coach. VHS found Biller to be the best fit for this new position because he’s been involved in VHS track and field for so long, so the athletes were familiar with his presence and coaching techniques. 

Preston Biller has been a VHS teacher for 18 years, this year being his 19th. He’s currently an AP Calculus AB and AP Precalculus teacher. Biller was the head cross country coach for the girls cross country team at VHS for 12 years, before taking a break from coaching. In addition to his coaching career, he was an assistant coach for sprints, jumps and distance for 14 years while working with coaches Kory Anderson and Tyree Cruz. 

Soon after Anderson quit his job as the track and field coach, Biller stepped up into his new position. This is a big change for the track and field team considering they’ve had Anderson as a coach for over 20 years. Biller desires to improve track and field and make it a fun environment for the athletes. 

“Biller will be an amazing coach,” said Melanie True ’26. Photo by: Meray Touma

Melanie True ‘26, a distance runner said, “He’s really dedicated and knows what’s going on. He’s really good with the students, and always checks in with them. Even though it’s really sad to see coach Anderson go, I think there’s always new opportunities. Coach Biller will be an awesome coach. 

Biller said, “[Coaching is] going to be a lot of work. I have a lot of respect and admiration for coach Anderson and coach Cruz, who are amazing coaches and accomplished a lot with the track team the last 20 plus years.” He went to explain how it’s not going to be easy because he’s not either of them, so he hopes he can make them proud and make the program a little bit better. Biller wants to live up to the expectations set up for him, and build upon the foundation or as Biller said, the “legacy” both coaches left behind. 

Biller has several aspirations for the track and field team. Biller wants to lead his track and field team to victory in their league, have both the girls and boys teams place top three at the CIF Finals, and place top three at the state meet. But most importantly, he wants everyone to have fun. 

View Comments (1)
$250
$1000