Cougar critique: “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour”

Popcorn buckets and re-usable cups available for purchase at Cinemark Theaters. Photo by: Journey Quan

This Oct. 13, “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour” opened, making itself the second highest grossing October movie ever 

Taylor Swift’s “The Eras Tour” sponsored by Capital One, spanned all over the country starting on March 17 in Glendale, Arizona with more upcoming U.S. dates  in October and international dates throughout 2024.  The setlist for each show contains 44 songs altogether from her 10 albums, her “eras,” and two surprise songs in each city. 

The Eras Tour became such a hit that tickets sold for thousands of dollars. Due to the expensive price, many people could not afford to go. However, through the efforts of director Sam Wrench, and with distribution by AMC Theatres, anyone can buy a ticket to see a film of the Eras Tour on and after Oct. 13 at their local movie theater. The movie theaters allowed people the opportunity to trade friendship bracelets, dress up and see Swift sing. Tickets cost $19.89 for adults and $13.13 for children under 10.  

The film captured the first three nights out of the six total (Aug. 3, 4, 5, 7, 8 and 9) that Swift performed at Sofi Stadium in Los Angeles during the U.S. leg of her tour. Salene Dang ‘27 said, “Going into the [Eras] movie, I thought it would be more of a documentary, like the ‘Reputation Stadium Tour’ film, with commentary in between. I was so pleasantly surprised that it had all the aspects I’d heard about from the actual Eras Tour concert.”

Many people saw the film on its opening night, Oct. 13. The film also had a limited premiere on Oct. 11, which Swift announced as an earlier opening night. This gave people the opportunity to see the film early, but also blew off the people who had rushed for opening night tickets. As someone who specifically bought tickets to be one of the first people to see the film, it was a bit disappointing that I no longer had that opportunity. 

Nevertheless, the film was a big hit. People wore their merch that they bought at the Eras Tour. Some dressed up as the outfits Swift wore in her performances; some even wore outfits that debuted in 2006. Another trend was people finding creative ways to use their popcorn buckets (you could purchase plastic r

Bracelets collected from the Eras Tour film. Making bracelets for the Eras Tour can from the lyric “make the friendship bracelets, take the moment and taste it”, from Swift’s song “You’re On Your Own Kid”. The tradition from tour crossed over to the film. Photo by: Leah Enerva

eusableTaylor Swift: The Eras Tour popcorn buckets and cups) for storing bracelets, or even as a hat.

Mia Kish ‘24 said, “I didn’t go to the actual tour, but I was really excited because I knew it would follow a similar structure to the tour itself. It ended up being really good, I had a lot of fun.” 

Before it was released,Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour was predicted to do well. Many other movies changed their date of release so they didn’t conflict with the film, including Paramount’s “Killers of the Flower Moon” and Universal’s “ The Exorcist: The Believer.” The film broke the AMC first day pre-sale record, beating “Spider-Man: No Way Home.” Overall, the movie was phenomenal and would recommend to any Taylor Swift fan.