Opinion: Back to back spirit weeks

Lilly Montecino ’26 participating in Bring Anything but a Backpack Day for Homecoming spirit week. Photo: Meray Touma

What are the students’ opinions on the spirit weeks? 

According to ASB advisor Ann Larson, this is the first time, VHS had two back to back spirit weeks. The first spirit week was for the rivalry game against Buena which took place on the week of Oct. 9. The themes were: Monday-Beach Gear, Tuesday-Jersey vs. Jersey Shore, Wednesday-Gym Clothes, Thursday-Buena Bookworms and Friday-Black & Gold. Following that, the week of Oct. 16, was the homecoming spirit week. The themes for this week were: Monday-Pj’s Day, Tuesday-Dynamic Duo, Wednesday-Wear Pink, Thursday-Anything but a Backpack and lastly Friday-Flower Power. VHS students have their opinions on the back to back spirit weeks, especially the themes.

Lilly Montecino ‘26, an ASB member, said, “I think we had some good themes for the rivalry spirit week. My favorite day from the rivalry spirit week was Jersey vs. Jersey Shore. This week [Oct. 15-20] for the homecoming spirit week, we have some pretty cool themes coming up. For example, my favorite, Flower Power on Friday which really ties in with the dance theme [Enchanted Garden].” Montecino continues, “I thought the back to back spirit weeks were very stressful but very exciting. We had some super fun themes like Bring Anything But a Backpack, Buena Bookworms and Dynamic Duo day. We got to look forward to Homecoming and the rivalry game. I think the hardest part about it was that there wasn’t a ton of participation around campus which is understandable because 10 spirit days in a row is a lot to plan for and participate in.” 

Melanie True ’26 acting as Lily Sheldon’s ’26 backpack for Homecoming spirit week. Photo by: Meray Touma

Not all students felt this way about the spirit weeks. Sofia Huntley ‘25 said, “I thought [the spirit weeks were] okay, but no one participated because every year they sorta do the same thing and 10 days in a row is a lot.” Huntley added, “This week’s [Homecoming spirit week] themes are better, but I think we could’ve stepped up our game. Overall, the themes weren’t bad, but weren’t the best.” 

The ASB director, Ann Larson, said, “It [the back to back spirit weeks] was an unusual situation because of the calendar and everything going on at school that was decided months ago. In the seven years that I’ve worked here, this is the first back to back spirit week we’ve had. I think the kids are doing a pretty good job of trying to get everything done in a short period of time, but it’s definitely a tough one to do and hopefully we won’t have to do it again. I don’t have any opinions [on the spirit weeks] as long as the students are having fun.”