Sarah Beckman makes a splash into the Ivy League

“The process was great, I had a really great time calling both my coaches and taking my official visit,” said Sarah Beckman ’25. Photo by: Andrew Beckman

VHS junior Sarah Beckman announces her commitment to the admissions process at Harvard University

Sarah Beckman ‘25 announced her verbal commitment to the admissions process at Harvard University on Jan. 9, 2024 through her Instagram account, @fruitninjamaster2. She posted, “I am beyond excited to announce my commitment to the admissions process at Harvard University!! Thank you so much to my parents, friends, teammates coaches, Coach Amanda and Coach Geordie for all their support in this process! Go Crimson!!” 

Beckman has been swimming competitively for ten years. Her recruitment process was filled with a multitude of schools including the University of Pittsburgh and University of Nevada Reno, as well as Washington State University, University of Kentucky and University of Indiana, before she ultimately decided on Harvard. 

“I always knew that I wanted to go to the best school I could get into, so when I started getting scouted by Harvard, I knew that this was the best opportunity to go somewhere where I would be pushed equally athletically and academically. After the first recruiting call with coach Amanda, I knew that I wanted to go there,” said Beckman.  

“Sarah’s best quality as a swimmer is her internal motivation. She has the drive to attend morning, afternoon and dryland practices 8-10 [times] a week simply because she has goals. Not simply to attend, but to push herself and her teammates to the limit on each and every set. That drive has enabled her to push herself all the way to be knocking on Olympic Trials’ door and has led college coaches to be knocking on her’s,” said her club swim coach, Luke Corley.

“[Sarah Beckman] has earned where she is and where she is going,” said Corley. Graphic by: Ava Mohror
Harvard University is renowned for their Division One women’s swim team. Beckman’s commitment to the admissions process enables her excitement in joining such a competitive team. “The team at Harvard are some of the sweetest and most humble people I’ve ever met. They were extremely welcoming to me and the other recruits and were open to answer any questions we had. I’m super excited to be their teammate,” said Beckman. 

With over 30 colleges to consider, Beckman had her pick of where she wanted to further pursue her swimming and academic career. Beckman said, “Although the recruiting process is stressful, it was so fun getting to know other girls from all over the country and world and getting to see beautiful campuses as well.” 

The VHS Girls Swim Team began their season on Feb. 15, 2024. In the team’s 2023 season, they won the Ventura County Swim Championship and Beckman was the only girl on the team to make it to the CIF Southern Section finals. “My main events are 200 free (1:49.96), 100 fly (54.65) and 100 free (50.8),” said Beckman. 

“I have been coaching Sarah since middle school and had the opportunity to really see her come into her own in recent years. Always positive, always encouraging her teammates and always willing to push herself has enabled her to achieve all that she has in recent years. One of the things that has impressed me the most with Sarah is how she has remained genuine to who she is despite all that she has achieved. Recently we ran ‘clinics’ with the younger kids where she and the older seniors taught them some of what they specialize in, and went out of her way to make them feel welcome and to patiently teach them,” said Corley.

“I’m most excited to continue my journey in this recruiting process and continue getting faster in swimming and improving myself just in general,” said Beckman. 

View Comments (1)
$250
$1000