TCP Broadcast: May 27, 2024

Sadies dance is back

The theme of the Sadie’s dance is “Western.” Some traditional western apparel is cowboy boots and a hat. Graphic by: ASB

The spring dance is back for the first time since the COVID-19 pandemic.

A spring dance has not been held at VHS since prior to the COVID-19 pandemic. The spring dance is coming back this year and will be known as a Sadies dance. 

A poll was taken by ASB and students chose to have a Sadies dance. A Sadies dance is when girls invite boys to the dance, rather than the traditional expectation of the other way around. The name ‘Sadies’ originated from Sadie Hawkins who was a comic strip character. The comic was called the Li’l Abner and was created by cartoonist, Al Capp. In the comic, Sadie Hawkins had a day in November and on this day unmarried women would chase bachelors to marry, but this has evolved to become a traditional dance for many schools.

The VHS Sadies dance will be on Friday, May 31 from 7:30 p.m. to 10 p.m.. The Sadies dance is for all VHS students. Tickets are available to purchase starting May 20. The tickets are $7 with an ASB sticker and $10 without. Unlike the neon dance that took place earlier this year, no contracts are needed. It will also be held in the Tuttle Gym.

The dance’s theme is “Western” which was chosen via an instagram poll, where students got to choose between “Under the Sea” and “Western.” Western won by a large margin. 

“At first I wasn’t really thrilled about it, but I like it now because it’s a good theme, yeehaw,” said Aubrey Lobreau ‘27. 

“It is an interesting theme. It could either turn out really good or really bad,” said Selena Lubbos ‘27.

In the days leading up to the dance, there is a spirit week. On Tuesday, May 28 kicks off the spirit week with “Walking on Sunshine” where everyone wears yellow. The following day is “Boots vs. Birks” which is wearing cowboy boots or sandals. Thursday is “Camo vs. Plaid” day. Finally, on the day of the dance, Friday is “Western day” where wearing cowboy boots and hats are encouraged.

The week of May 28 to 31 is a four day week and will have a spirit day each day leading up to the dance on Friday. The school week starts off on Tuesday, with “Walking on Sunshine” as the theme. Graphic by: Vail Newman

“I am really excited, it will really help get us in the dancing spirit,” said Lobreau.

VHS holds many dances throughout the year but the Sadies dance stands out for a few reasons. One reason is because all VHS students can attend unlike prom and senior ball which are only for upperclassmen and seniors. 

“I think students should attend because it’s a way to have everyone together and bond and I think it’s just a fun activity overall, and like underclassmen who ask for other dances this is a perfect chance for them because obviously upperclassmen have prom and senior ball. So this is another thing [for underclassmen] just like the neon dance. So it is fun,” said Talia Denger ‘27.

VHS is welcoming back the spring dance after a four year break without it. As the school year comes to an end, the Sadies dance will be the last dance of the year. 

“Many students report that they are excited for the opportunity to have a dance this time of year,” said Ann Larson, ASB instructor.