Ventura water polo swims to a victory over Rio Mesa

Senior Makoa Gutierrez (number four) tipping the ball away on an attempted pass by the Spartans. Photo by: Greysen Sjoquist

On Tuesday Sept. 25, the Ventura High School Cougars played a league match against the Rio Mesa Spartans, VHS’s third league match of the season. Previously, they beat Buena and Channel Islands and had a 2-0 record entering the match.
The Cougars came out on top with a final score of 7-4. They improved their league record to 3-0.
In the first quarter, the Cougars struck first with 1:18 left in the quarter when senior Micah Amico (number 15) scored. The Spartans responded quickly, scoring two goals in under a minute by Rio Mesa players Brandyn Robles (number two) and Zach Menes (number eight). At the end of the first quarter, the Spartans led 2-1.
In the second quarter, the Cougars took control of the match with three goals coming from junior Evan Moore (number eight), one from senior Omar Al Bawab (number three), and a backhand goal from senior Christian Guillaume (number ten). Senior and goalie Jackson Ellis (number one), also had multiple tough blocks that kept the Spartans at two points. Going into halftime, the Cougars led 6-2.

[huge_it_slider id=”62″]
The third quarter went quietly, as neither teams scored.
In the fourth quarter, the Cougars added on one more point from sophomore Dylan Nicodemus (number 16), as the Spartans added on two more points, including a last second goal as the time ran out. Even with this late run by Rio Mesa, the Cougars came out victorious with a final score of 7-4.
Guillaume spoke about the match after it was over, “I think we played pretty well. Rio Mesa did a good job of double teaming me… this allowed some of my teammates to step up and shoot from the perimeter, specifically Evan Moore, who had some great shots.”
He also added that his team played “outstanding defense” and “Rio Mesa is the toughest team that we will face in our league this year and we had a solid win today.” He predicts they will beat the Spartans by more points next game as well.