Varsity volleyball sweeps Buena in three

Senior Tatum Teel (number five) serving against Buena. Photo by: John Studebaker

Ventura took the win against Buena High School 25-15 on Thursday Sept. 20, when the Ventura girls volleyball team had a matchup with their cross town rival.Going into the match, the Cougars had a record of 12-5 and the Bulldogs had a record of 15-8. In the first set, team captain Tatum Teel(number five) scored, holding the lead for the Cougars at 12-8 and also had a block with senior Olivia Monarres(number 12) assisting her, stopping a long Bulldog rally. Monarres had the serve during the match point, and aced it for the Cougars to take the first set 25-15.

In the second set, the Cougars were down by three, but the momentum swung toward them once junior Gabby Sheldon had a nice kill after a Bulldog rally. Teel kept the Cougars in the lead with multiple kills, and Cougars took the second set 25-11. At the end of the second set, sophomore Nevada Knowles(number 14) had a block to give the Cougars a 2-0 lead over the Bulldogs in the match.

With the Cougars leading the game through two sets, Ventura continued to defeat Buena in the third set by holding them down.
Girls volleyball will play again Sept. 27 when they face Rio Mesa at home.