Editorial: Do you want fame from social media?

Freshman Alina Reitz. She hopes she will get noticed for fame. Photo taken from Alina’s instagram : @alom0ndcreature

Fame, like most things, has many different views upon it. What better way to get a genuine opinion on fame than to ask students who are growing up in a world perpetually filled with the influence of it. Fame is a difficult subject, because there are many perceptions of it. What is fame? Does everyone want fame? These are the questions that have been asked to some students attending Ventura High School.

Social media is a huge part of what the younger generations see has the apiddamy of fame. On platforms like Instagram, is the little blue checkmark by your name what fame means to youth? If just a certain amount of followers gets you labeled as a famous person, should we be concerned about the next generation of workers?

Freshman Quinn Ferguson gave her opinion on this matter: “I think that people get confused on what it means to be successful. Some people think you need to be famous to make money, but I think you just need to get an education and go to college. I dont think people should be so obsessed with followers and instafame.” Her opinion is true from many students.

Freshman Alice McCoy says, “I would like to be famous some day.” Photo taken by Audrey Flynn

On the other hand, some people think becoming social media famous is a great way to become successful. Freshman Alina Reitz said, “I really want to be famous. I think if I use social media I’ll make myself more out there and either hope someone notices me or I’ll find myself a manager.”

Freshman Alice McCoy added, “I feel like fame gives you the opportunity to make the world a better place. People will want to listen to your ideas more because you are well known.”

With this standpoint, the perception of fame is very relevant. Without a doubt the number of teens on social media has affected the opinions of most teens. According to pewinternet.org, 85 percent of U.S. teens using Youtube and 72 percent using Instagram, the idea of fame portrayed on a aesthetic social media page ran by influencers is highly desired by today’s youth.         

In between these two standpoints lies other opinions. Freshman Greta Pankratz expressed her opinion: “Most of the people I know really want to go to college and get really good jobs, which I also what I want to do. If social media fame is part of your future goals than I am all for that. But in my case, social media is just for fun. All though I care about social media, I wouldn’t want to become famous off of it.” From asking around, most teens fall into this category. Fame is relevant, but not to the point where they want to pursue that as an everyday job.

What do you think about fame? How much relevance does social media have in your life? With many different sides to fame and success, we have learned that most teens are thinking about their future either in fame or not.