What’s with the blue clocks on the classrooms?

The blue clock that sits facing the senior lawn from the office side of it. Photo by: Garrett Jaffe

This article looks into what the unused clocks that are built throughout Ventura High School’s campus are used for.

If anyone has noticed there are out-of-function clocks placed high up on the school buildings. What the clocks are for, at first appears to be somewhat of a mystery, as they appear to be more for aesthetics than function.

This outlook can be further reinforced as the clocks do not work and at first glance, they appear to be designed with the purpose of form and aesthetic rather than function and pragmatism.

However, Ventura High School janitor Ray Morrales, who is tasked with maintaining the clocks said, “[The blue clock facing the pool] is operational, but it doesn’t tell the right time.” And about the grey clock facing towards the office, he said, “[The grey clock] over their doesn’t work anymore, because the little gadget that allows it to work is broken. It’s opposite.”

As previously mentioned, one of the clocks lies on the wall of the tower-looking extension from the ASB part of the 100’s building. It is blue, which led to the idea that it was meant to pop or draw more attention to itself, serving as aesthetic feature to VHS.

It seems that many of Ventura High School’s very own students not only don’t know of the existence of the clock, but after being alerted to its existence cannot come to a conclusion as to its purpose. When asked about the clock, junior Eva Connelly first said, “I have no idea what clock you’re talking about.”

And after being shown the clock and asked whether or not she thinks it’s for aesthetics or for actually telling time, she said, “I think it was probably designed to both look good and work as a clock, but now I’m sure it’s just for looks.”

When asked if she thinks it would be helpful to have these blue clocks functioning, she said, “I think it would be helpful to some extent, but they already have that new screen. Clocks are a better alternative to screens though.”

So it seems that the motionless clocks that stay glued to the walls of VHS gathering dust, are not only not noted for their aesthetics or for a tool in telling time, for one reason and one reason only–no one knows that they are there.

More importantly, what year were the buildings the clocks are on built? Infographic by: Garrett Jaffe