Recent rains bring relief and risk

The Matilija Creek is the main tributary to the Ventura River which now has a strong current to it thanks to the recent precipitation. Photo by: Sam Hicks

Car accidents and fire danger rise with precipitation

Over the last month, Ventura has received some much-needed rain; 2.82 inches, to be exact. With California just ending its worst drought in recorded history and Ventura still in a stage three water shortage, are things looking up for the local water table?

Senior Laura Sangiacomo crosses the now flowing Matilija Creek. Photo by: Sam Hicks

According to the Ventura County Watershed Protection District, Ventura is off to a good start this season — beginning on Oct. 1 and ending on Sept. 30 the following year — with about half an inch more than what is typically received during this period. However, this slight flux might not mean much in the big scheme of things, and contrary to popular belief, it could potentially create more risk.

“With a lot of water comes a lot of plant growth and with that comes a lot of fuel to burn,” says AP Environmental Science teacher, Jared McEntyre. “That is, when the dry season returns in the fall.”

But the rain poses a more immediate risk to students. As new drivers who are unaccustomed to wet driving conditions, teens are more likely to get into car crashes. California Office of Traffic Safety Director Barbara Rooney stated, “Teen drivers don’t have the same experiences or skills as older drivers with many more years and miles on the road. Avoiding bad, dangerous habits behind the wheel is critical for the safety of teens.”

Senior Camron Neville corroborates these concerns saying, “I feel like whenever it rains, driving with people is extra sketchy because nobody is used to the low visibility and slippery roads.”

Senior Omar Espinosa added, “I was late one morning on my way to school and got onto the freeway on-ramp too fast and my car just started skrrtng [sic] out of control. I wasn’t too scared– I kind of just accepted it. It continued to happen the following days of rain, but at least I wasn’t late to Mrs. Jones’s class.”