The Bougar Press Broadcast: March 28, 2024

Opinion: Have rules regarding alcohol become stricter?

When asked if the school has been stricter he stated, “The school has to do what it’s got to do, the police will have to do what they have to do, and hopefully the parents will do what they need to do.” Photo by: Summer Yovanno

To me, it seems like the amount of students getting in trouble for being under the influence has been increasing these past few years; It’s like every year the number seems to grow dramatically.

More and more students are seeing this incident on their high school record, but why is this?

An example of what appears on students’ behavior record when caught under the influence.
Photo by: Brooke Newman

Have the rules gotten stricter, or are more students drinking are the questions that many students may be asking. When in fact, the answer is neither.

The same rules and laws, in regards to students and minors being under the influence have been the same for 33 years, ever since Congress passed the National Minimum Drinking Age Act, which raised the legal drinking age to 21.

In addition, more students are actually not drinking. Although more seem to get caught, in recent studies the results have shown that in fact, less students are drinking.

In a recent survey conducted by Responsibility,.com the amount of underage drinking has decreased by 25 percent from 2007-2016. So if these two reasons aren’t correct, then why are more students getting in trouble?

When asked if the school has been stricter he stated, “The school has to do what it’s got to do, the police will have to do what they have to do, and hopefully the parents will do what they need to do.”
Photo by: Summer Yovanno

According to Ventura High School principal, Carlos Cohen, the reason behind more students getting in trouble is because of “the amount of eyes,” that are watching students at all times.

Cohen stated that “the new generations culture has changed dramatically due to the input of social media, which allows more and more people to watch students and their activity.”