Ventura High School hosts its quarterly blood drive

Students and other donors waited in the cafeteria to get their blood drawn. (Pictured left to right) Thomas Atkins ’25, Ruby Welch ’25 and Annabella Lehtonen ’25. Photo by: Alexis Segovia

VHS welcomes students to sign up to donate blood

On March 1, VHS hosted the American Red Cross Blood Drive in which students are able to donate blood.  Students are encouraged to donate as long as they are  16 years old and a minimum weight based on their height.This quarterly event is hosted by ASB, and students can sign up though them. Students who are 16 and older can sign up– the only information they need to provide is their name, period in which they will donate and the teacher’s name from the class they will be missing. 

This also gives students the opportunity to receive a cord at graduation. If any given student donates blood for four quarters during their time in high school, they receive a cord to wear at graduation. This serves as an incentive for students to donate blood. 

The American Red Cross was founded in 1881, and is currently facing an emergency blood shortage. The American Red Cross Blood Services website says, “The American Red Cross is experiencing an emergency blood shortage as the nation faces the lowest number of people giving blood in 20 years. Your blood donation is needed now to help alleviate the shortage and ensure life saving medical procedures are not delayed.” 

Yvette Espinoza ‘25 said “I decided to donate blood because I’ve had a lot of family go to the hospital and when they do need blood, they said they are in a shortage of supply. So every time I hear that, I think like ‘oh, my school does it.’ I can easily go instead of having to call and see if other locations do the same. I just do it to be able to help people because I know some people need it.” 

Posters were made and hung up around campus to promote the blood drive. Photo by: Alexis Segovia

The donation process started by signing in in the cafeteria as well as scanning a QR code which led to a series of questions that every donor had to complete in order to donate. Once the donor filled out and completed the survey, they were told to wait until their name was called. 

Gabriella Lopez ‘24 said, “I always feel good right after I [donate blood], knowing that it is helping somebody. Know that you are helping someone that is in need [by donating blood].” 

There will be one more opportunity this school year to donate blood which will be in the fourth quarter and will be announced by ASB.