Super safe superman supervises school

Gomez is also on campus to mentor, council or answer any questions students may have regarding law enforcement. Photo by: Acacia Harrell

Chances are, students have seen an officer on campus supervising and keeping the peace. But who is he and what is his job? What are his feelings on safety on campus, especially with so many violent events occuring on campuses around the world?

Officer Tony Gomez has been the school’s resource officer at Ventura High School for the past three years. According to Gomez, his job entails keeping the school safe, including students and staff, and making sure that students stay focused on getting their education.

However, Gomez is also on campus to mentor, council or answer any questions students may have regarding law enforcement.

With school shootings and other violent events being prevalent on the news, Gomez shared some words of advice on how students can keep themselves safe: “ I just say be vigilant, look at your surroundings, if somethings not right report it.”

He went on to say that if a student ever sees something that doesn’t look right on campus, they should tell an administrator or a resource officer immediately. “I think overall we are a very safe school and we are a tight knit community so I feel good,” said Gomez.