Meet the faces of VHS pep band

After an interview with junior Gabriel Bacon, who is in the Ventura High School Pep Band, it appeared that the Pep Band is something at VHS that not a lot of students know about. Pep Band is a small group of students that play brass, wind and drum instruments during the home football games.

Gabriel Bacon is a junior at Ventura High School who is in the pep band. Photo by: Nathan Marshall

There are about 30 students in the Pep Band. Some provide their own instruments, usually the smaller sized instruments such as trumpets, flutes and clarinets. The larger instruments such as the drums and tubas are typically borrowed from the VHS music teacher, Paul Hunt, and the school.

The Pep Band is led mostly by the Drum Major, senior Bridget Boland, but Hunt helps the band as well. Boland plays other instruments besides the drums such as viola, trumpet and guitar.

Paul Kim is a junior at Ventura High School who is in the pep band. Photo by: Nathan Marshall

According to Paul Kim and Gabriel Bacon the band usually plays five short songs while the game is going on and eight songs in between quarters. The students that usually play in the band memorize the songs that they play. Two songs that are played are called seven Nation Army and Final Countdown in between quarters which is something pretty well known. If the football team wins then they will play three more songs after the game to celebrate.