GMO’s are a no go

Virginia+Schuette+showed+me+the+sign+in+the+cafeteria+that+displays+the+vegetable+of+the+month.+
Virginia Schuette showed me the sign in the cafeteria that displays the “vegetable of the month”.

Infertility, Immune problems, accelerated aging, faulty insulin regulation, changes in major organs, the list goes on and on. GMOs, or Genetically Modified Organisms,  have been around for almost thirty years and all they have done is cause us hardship.

The cafeteria at VHS displays a new vegetable monthly on their “Harvest of the Month” sign. Photo by: Acacia Harrell

GMO farmers love to talk about how GMOs are “saving the planet” because they consume less water, soil, and energy; what no one who is pro-GMO wants to talk about is actually what they can’t really talk about, the unknown itself.

GMOs are generally new when it comes to agriculture and there is still a lot we don’t know about it when it comes to not only the environmental effects but the health risks presented. The scariest thing is not knowing what the long term effects of GMOs will be: what is society passing on to kids, their kids, and beyond in these foods?

These are only questions society must ask if it stays on this path. This path of “bigger is better” no matter what the quality. Instead of trying to make fruits bigger, society should be working on how to make healthier food cheaper and more attainable for low income families around the world.

“Very healthy” is how Virginia Schuette, Cafeteria worker at VHS, responded when asked if she believes food provided by our cafeteria is healthy. Photo by: Acacia Harrell

VHS Cafeteria worker Virginia Schuette stated,  “I’m just so impressed with this kitchen, nothing gets fried… everything is baked for you guys. They are so into health.”

When talking about GMOs, one can’t avoid the topic of eating healthy in general. Take the students of VHS for example. Are healthy food options provided on campus? How does that compare with what students actually eat on campus?

My interview with her got me thinking: maybe it’s not so much that healthy food isn’t available as much as kids aren’t taking advantage of that supply. I inquired about this with Schutte, and she said, “most of them already know what they want when they come in… they want a cheeseburger”.

This mindset of either not knowing what is going into one’s body or simply not caring is what will be the downfall of society when it comes to eating habits. If there are healthy options provided on campus, then take them; start checking the labels on your food, be health conscious. Actions like these will set society on the right path and keep us GMO free in the long run.