NaNoWriMo is now in session

Junior Montana Wiggins said, “I absolutely adore Nanowrimo, even though I have only begun the beginning stages of it.” Graphic by: Alejandro Hernandez.

Alejandro Hernandez

VHS creative writing class promotes novel challenge

NaNoWriMo, standing for National Novel Writing Month is a non-profit organization that holds a yearly challenge to write a 50,000 word novel within a month. The challenge takes place between Nov. 1 and Dec. 1 every year. NaNoWriMo will help participants self publish their novels. 

English and creative writing teacher Greg Raney said, “I think it’s about [NaNoWriMo] having the opportunity and taking a risk that a lot of people have thought about, but have not known how to start it.” According to NaNoWriMo, there are 306,230 participants as of Nov. 7.

Freshman Mirella Toledano, a student in the creative writing class, said, “I think of it as an opportunity …. and a challenge towards myself. I have always been on and off with writing and always have made promises of writing a book someday. When I heard about Nanowrimo I just thought of a great opportunity to actually write my story that has been on hold far too long.”

Ventura High School’s creative writing class participates in the event annually. Freshman Nanowrimo participant, Eva Stamp said, “I would describe my experience as a little stressful but overall a very good outlet to get ideas on a paper and have something to look at and create.”

Freshman Eva Stamp said, “I think it’s a really cool idea and a good way for writers to start a novel and a good challenge for them to try to complete it in the month of November.” Photo by: Alejandro Hernandez

Junior Montana Wiggins, a fellow creative writing student said, “To those who wish to challenge themselves or anyone who feels the graze of curiosity to reach a benchmark of 50,000 words in a month, should start typing immediately without any hesitation. It’s enticing because no one is allowed to say ‘that’s not right’. It’s fiction! Completely your own to master, to tease, to adjust and proceed.”

Students can continue to write their novels even past the month of November. For example, “The Night Circus” by Erin Morgenstern was written over the span of three competitions. Some of the notable novels published as a result of NaNoWriMo, according to NaNoWriMo, include “Water for Elephants” and “Fangirl”. Students who wish to participate in the novel writing challenge have to create an account at https://nanowrimo.org. There is no deadline for signing up for an account.