Cougars clawed their way to CIF

Kicking off the fall season this year, our sports were a hot buzz around campus.

Cross Country:

Sofia Ramos -the powerhouse of running- finished her final race in first place with a Channel League title. Girls cross country finished their season in first place with a Channel League win, a goal most sports team’s aspire to reach. Ramos and other girls are moving on to CIF prelims for a CIF title.

Boys Cross Country placed second in Channel League. The boys will continue to race at CIF prelims.

Girls tennis:

With many new players this season, Senior Maya Krishnasamy added, “This season was a great practice for next season.” Girls tennis placed fourth in their league.

Krishnasamy and sophomore Isabella Francis are the number one and two singles for the team and they both will advance to CIF prelims playing doubles together. Their first game will be on November 20.

Girls Golf:

They broke a total of 30+ records as a team this year. Golf had a record of 10-5 winning 10 matches and losing five. Senior Olivia Block made second team placing her in 12th. Senior Delaney Young also made second team all league placing her in 11th.

Golf broke their home course record as a team, shooting 216 — that match was also the team’s best match, where they crushed Oxnard by 96 points. Junior Samantha Pedersen was by far the most improved player of the year.

Boys water polo:

Varsity boys water polo had a strong season, ending with the title of Channel League champions. However, they only played one game for CIF. Senior Micah Amico said, “We started off pretty well, made it to CIF, and then we did pretty bad our first CIF game. We lost that game.”

Junior Harry Behrens said, “We did really [well] during the season. We tied for Channel league champions with Santa Barbara, our only loss of the game.”

Amico named Peyton Collins as being a standout player of the season, saying he was “one of the best players [he knows].”

Girls Volleyball:

Girls volleyball did not go to CIF this year, and ended their varsity season with an overall score of 19-12, and a league score of 5-3.

There were several standout players this season including MVP’s junior Mary Sinclair and senior Raphaela Rosales.  The team took a sizeable toll from losing a lot of graduating seniors.

The season began on August 31 with a 3-1 win against Oak Park High School. The team faced their first loss of the season on September 5 against La Reina High School, 3-1.

The volleyball season has come to a close, but the players look forward to next season.