What’s trending in winter fashion?

Pictured is UGG’s Classic Ultra Mini Boot. These shoes have become a popular piece of clothing around school. Photo by: Vail Newman

What are students at VHS wearing for the winter season?

With the weather getting colder, many students have begun altering their wardrobes to better suit the temperature. Even though the weather change isn’t as drastic in Ventura, there is still more rain and colder temperatures in winter than at any other times of the year.

Many students have been wearing UGGs, sweatpants, oversized jackets or sweaters and beanies. These pieces make for a stylish way to stay warm. Students can also be seen layering a tee shirt over a long sleeve, so they can wear the t-shirts they want without being cold, as well as just being a style choice.

Sylvie Watts ‘27 said, “I absolutely love winter fashion. Sweaters and layers are my favorite and perfect for winter. Winter clothes are a little bit different in Ventura because it’s not as cold, but it still gets cold enough to wear ‘winter-y’ outfits.”

The weather in Ventura rarely gets under 55° F during the day and only occasionally experiences rain most of the time during winter. When the weather gets even the slightest bit cold, students tend to immediately bundle up. However, one type of weather condition Ventura sees a lot of is fog. No matter the season, fog is apparent, meaning students wear “winter” clothes in other weather conditions besides  winter.

Phoebe Fields ‘27 said, “I think [winter fashion is] cozy. You can tell, like, by how much [students are] bundled up.”

For some, getting ready in the morning and finding the right outfit is a struggle, so when it comes to finding something stylish as well as warm is a whole new challenge. According to fashion magazine, Vogue, wild patterned and neutral sweaters, clothes layering, silver jewelry and corduroy are all the rage. Vogue gives types of clothing pieces and style tips to assist with the difficulty of styling warm clothes when people still aim to dress stylish despite the weather. 

Phoebe Fields ’27 shows off her winter outfit of black Sambas, blue jeans and a sweatshirt. Fields said, “If you don’t have a good jacket, it ruins the outfit.” Photo by: Ava Blau-Grinsel

Many students may find themselves having a “go-to” outfit as a way for getting ready to feel more efficient and easier. When they know there is an option to rely on, matched to their aesthetic(s), there is less stress when it comes to getting ready for the day.

“My winter fashion staples are chunky knit sweaters and UGGs. My go-to winter outfit is an oversized knit sweater with low rise baggy blue jeans and my UGG ultra mini platform [shoes],” said Watts

Style is something that changes depending on the season, region and student, which is why fashion is so interchangeable. Even if everyone is dressing for the same season, students can still show who they are through clothes.