Ventura High School’s track season has officially begun

Pictured left to right are Claire Ramos ’24, Amanda Lubbos ’25 and Juliette Nasarenko ’24 after the Jerry Harwood Memorial invite. Photo by: Sierra Meyers

How are VHS track students feeling about their season starting? 

Track and Field has been a sport at VHS for many years. Track and Field is a sport with numerous events including sprints, long jumps, hurdles and many more. The team had its first meet on Feb. 17, which is the day they found out their times and rankings.
Naima Tovar ‘26, a sprinter and triple jumper, said, “Now that the season has started, I feel very excited considering it’s my first year in track. I think the season will go great because we have great freshmen on the team who push themselves which motivates all of us. I’m mostly looking forward to racing Santa Barbara due to their good track records and Buena, our rival school. Track has helped me with my anxiety as well as improving my running and putting me in better shape overall. Also, I met two of my closest friends because of track. The coaches are very supportive and helpful in many ways, especially giving each individual athlete tips to help with their speed and efforts. They take the time to help each and everyone of us to insure we reach our goals.”

Jordyn Ward ’26 running the 400 meter race. She PR’D in three events. Photo by: Nick DeGeorge

There have been many coaches over the years, but this year the coaches are: Preston Biller as head coach, Karissa Curtis and Cody Beeson as assistant distance coaches, Michael Saltzman for sprints, Derek Pekar for high jump, Josh Spiker as head distance coach and Sierra Meyers as an assistant coach.
Amanda Lubbos ‘25, a long distance runner says, “I’m really excited that my junior season has started, I feel like this season is going to be really awesome with the new coaches and new [personal records]. Our biggest competitors are Buena and Santa Barbara so I’m excited to race and see our team compete to keep our winning streak. Track has such a positive environment from all the coaches and teammates cheering and supporting each other so it makes track meets really fun and memorable. I’ve been in track for three years now and I was blessed to have had the opportunity to be coached by Coach Cruz and Coach Anderson in the past. I started out as a sprinter, but then sophomore year, Coach Cruz quickly convinced me to join cross country where I was able to find some of my closest friends today. Over the years, I’ve tried many different events but my favorites are definitely the 800 [meter] and 1600 [meter].”

Track season just began and it’s already taking off. Graphic by: Meray Touma