Opinion: Coachella? More Like No-chella

Everyone knows about the music festival Coachella, the music festival that happens during two weekends in April near Indio, California.

Coachella is expensive and sells out almost instantly; a general admission ticket for one day goes for about $400 dollars a person. I think this is a waste of money. Senior Keanu Marquez agrees, saying “My chest better be getting signed by the yodelling kid for that much money.”

On the performers, I’m completely down with them. Beyonce’s performance this year was amazing, I mean, she brought back Destiny’s Child. That’s so good. I think Princess Nokia and Yaeji went too, who are a couple of my favorite artists.

But I mean, they also had the viral Walmart yodelling kid. That’s pretty rough. Good for him but also, what’s the point?

Don’t even get me started on the people that go there. The white girls wearing war bonnets, “native” prints, and bindis. These don’t belong to white people. They don’t belong to white people at all. This, my friends, is called cultural appropriation, and that’s not okay.

People are wearing these symbols because they don’t understand the cultures behind them. A headdress is an important article of clothing for native cultures, and signifies a lot. The same goes with bindis and Indian culture.

My distaste for this festival is not only limited to the people that attend. That’s everywhere and sadly a trend.

Coachella was founded by billionaire Philip Anschutz. This man has donated to anti-LGBT, pro-gun and pro-life organizations. He’s given to different political candidates who also believe in these backward views, millions upon millions of dollars. I’m not giving my money to this guy.

So overall, I dislike Coachella. It’s an expensive music festival that’s a waste of time. There are better ones, like Punk Rock Bowling in Las Vegas or Lollapalooza in Chicago.

Marquez agrees with this saying,  “No, I’d go to Burning Man instead.”