Boys tennis moves onwards to state tournament after championing CIF

On Friday May 18, Ventura High School participated in the CIF Southern Section Division Three finals against Troy High School at The Claremont Club in Claremont, California at 11:30 a.m. The journey to the finals has consisted of 4 games, including matches against La Quinta High School, Millikan High School, Damien High School, and Lutheran High School.

After the match, junior tennis player Max Cohen commented on the game, “Our singles were able to sweep all nine and doubles won the majority of their matches. We made history…”

The closest match of the tournament was a 7 to 12 win over Damien High School. The Cougars largest win was in the final match against Troy with a difference of 10, winning 14 to 4. This playoff run is the best run of the tennis program in school history. Not only have the boys written themselves into the school records, they have done this as a team of mostly underclassmen.

[huge_it_slider id=”44″]

The team is lead in the singles group by the Cohen brothers, Max and Ty. All athletes, regardless of team, sport, or age experience competition between the top players of a position, pushing each other to become better and to earn the spot. On the VHS tennis team, this competition is between the Cohen brothers. Ty has been in the number one spot for the singles, which one might think would be an overwhelming spot to put a freshman in, but Ty has lived up to the name. “Everyone stepped up and filled our rolls– everyone played great!” he stated about the success of his fellow teammates. His older brother Max sat in the number two spot during the season, and it gave the two a competition. Not only were the two battling for the number one spot, but also for as bragging rights as brothers.

In the following weeks the Cougars will send Ty Cohen and Hunter Lejia to play singles and Max Cohen and Noah Laber to play doubles in a sectional tournament for individuals, not part of CIF.