TCP Broadcast: May 7, 2024

Girls volleyball starts out strong in season’s first games

Cougars huddle and listen to their coach, Bryan Ornelas, during a timeout. Photo by: Summer Yovanno

On Thursday, September 6, Ventura High School girls volleyball played a match against Channel Islands High School. The game was at Ventura High School and the Cougars swept the Raiders in three sets.

The Cougars won the first set 25-7, the second 25-12, and the score of the third and final set was 25-17.

It was the girl’s tenth match of the season and their first league match of the season. The Cougars are now 7-3 in total and 1-0 in league. The Channel Islands Raiders drop to 3-10 and 0-1 in league.

[huge_it_slider id=”55″]

Senior Gabriela Alvarez, who is in her fourth year of volleyball for VHS, said, “I think we did really good, we were able to control the game from the start and beat CI.”

When asked about the Cougars varsity team, Alvarez said, “I feel like we’re looking pretty strong especially in our new league. We’re tiny in height compared to the other teams but our connection and hard work makes up for it.”

She also added that the Cougars have a “good chance” of winning first in league and they hope to bring back some trophies from tournament.

VHS’s next game is on Tuesday, September 11 at 6:30 p.m. at Rio Mesa High School. The Rio Mesa Spartans are 10-7 so far this year, and 0-1 in league. This is the Cougars second league game of the year and their first match against the Spartans.