Ventura High School opens 2022-23 summer school registration

Josh Francis, a counselor said, “Summer school is [going to] run from July 5 [to] 31. There [are] two sessions. Session one [is] from 8:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m., and session two is from 12:45 to 4:30 p.m.” Graphic by: Kendall Garcia

Students are now able to register for summer school

Both VHS and BHS will be holding summer school from July 5 to 31. They will hold two sessions throughout the day, allowing students to make up two classes over the summer. One session will be from 8:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m., and the other session from 12:45 to 4:30 p.m. Summer school will also be held on the same dates at El Camino High School and Pacific High School, but these schools will only hold one session from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., meaning students can only make up one class. VHS students can attend summer school at other schools as long as they’re in VUSD.

Students from grades eight to 11 are able to register for accelerated classes as of Math 1, including readiness and regular, Health and College and Career Seminar, though only available for students attending BHS, VHS or FTHS, World History, U.S. History, Government and Economics and Driver’s Education. However, students must be between 15 and 18 years old to enroll in Driver’s Education. 

VHS counselor Joshua Francis said, “If you fail a class, it’d be on you to go and talk to your counselor, email them, whatever you need to do. So it’s not like, ‘oh I failed the class. I’m automatically gonna be registered for it.’ [You have to] get a hold of your counselor and let them know that you need to make up a class.”

Francis said, “If you [have] a D in a class that you need for college entrance requirements … then you’ll need to talk to your counselor to get signed up for [summer school]. [This] makes sure that you are on track to apply to a four-year university right after high school. These are also important to make up.” Photo by: Kinda Meheal
Some summer school courses, such as College and Career and Health, will be available to students both in person and online. If a student decides to take a course online, their instructor may still require them to take assessments at designated times in person instead of online. 

Alondra Rojo ‘24 said, “I have [done summer school]. I took electives, so it was actually kind of fun and wasn’t that boring. I took art, and my teacher really had to rush … Everything was very chaotic, so you really [had] to get your stuff done in those four weeks. I kind of liked the challenge, [and] I thought it was fun.”

Francis said, “I wish [we knew who was teaching summer school], unfortunately we don’t know who’s teaching summer school until, like, that day of. Like, the first day of summer school. … We’ll get teachers from all over VUSD [teaching summer school]. So we have elementary school and middle school teachers that come and teach subjects, and then obviously we have our teachers that work here that will come back for summer [school].”