AP Computer Science Principles decodes the beauty in technology

According to the College Board’s website, the course “offers a multidisciplinary approach to teaching the underlying principles of computation.” Graphic by: Sarah Clench

In 2016, the course AP Computer Science Principles was introduced to Ventura High School and the students enrolled in Linda Bergfeld’s class seemed to be thrilled to be taking this course. This course is one that emphasizes object-oriented programming methodology, problem solving and an overview of data structures.

Junior Sage Beltran shared how he “loves learning about coding and how complex it it can be.” Photo by: Saida Delgadillo

With it being an AP class, one might assume that the workload would be overwhelming, but the students in Bergfeld’s sixth period claimed to be unruffled by the class. Junior Sage Beltran, who is currently in AP Computer Science Principles, expressed how “the work isn’t hard at all” and that the class is a “basic understanding for technology.” Senior Joe Martinez, whom is also enrolled in AP Computer Science Principles, added, “This is a perfect course for anyone who likes going on the internet and who wants to learn more about it and how to use it.”

Senior Destyni Tefertiller has AP Computer Science Principles sixth period and claimed it to be an “easy course.” Photo by: Saida Delgadillo

According to the College Board website, AP Computer Science Principles is an interesting way to “learn to design and implement computer programs relevant to today’s society, including art, media, and engineering.”

With that, it is evident that taking AP Computer Science Principles can provide an endless amount of opportunities. The College Board’s website also includes a list of career areas and college majors that can result from taking AP Computer Science Principles.